Nowadays, almost everything connects wirelessly -- even desktops come with Wi-Fi. Basically, just connect to the router's 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band and you're good to go. Occasionally, you'll need a wired connection to test internet speed or to improve video quality. Let's show you how to tether your computer to your router. Let's also talk about why a wired connection is better for certain things.
How to setup wired router computer connection using LINKSYS EA7500v1:
- The first thing you need to do is to plan your home network, specify the place where LINKSYS EA7500v1 will be placed, and estimate the distance to your PC.
- Now you need to buy a long enough ethernet cable. We recommend you buy a category 6 ethernet cable or higher to achieve the best download speed.
- Connect RJ-45 Plug to the LAN Socket in LINKSYS EA7500v1, ports are usually located at the back cover of the router, and to the ethernet slot in your PC or laptop.
- Now you need to configure two things on your PC.
- Be sure that you have a 1 Gbps connection.
- Set maximum MTU to 1500.
- Finally, you can check how fast is your internet connection on Wi-Fi and when you are using an ethernet cable connection.
- Fantastic! In my case switching to cable from Wi-Fi increased download speed ten times.